Travelodge has reportedly turned those housed by local councils, including homeless families, out on the street following the closure of its sites across the UK.
According to a report by The Guardian, the budget hotel chain issued a letter to all residents on Tuesday asking them to leave as soon as possible as they were “temporarily closing the hotels until further notice”.
The move has gone against government guidance that has said hotels looking after homeless families who had been placed in temporary accommodation should not close.
In government advice issued to accommodation providers, it was stated that hotels and other accommodation should remain open if “businesses are providing rooms to support homeless people, through arrangements with local authorities and other public bodies, they should remain open”.
Accommodation providers were also told to keep business open if they were housing “vulnerable groups”.
The Guardian said that “chaos and dismay” had been reported among families and local authority homelessness workers in light of the news.
In a statement released this afternoon, the hotel chain said: “Travelodge has been obliged to commence the temporary closure of its hotels in line with the instructions from the government on the 24th March 2020.
“We do expect to remain open in selected critical locations across the country to support accommodation for emergency workers and other groups.”
The group said it will continue to review which hotels are “best positioned to support the needs that arise with the government” while ensuring it complies with new restrictions amid the ongoing pandemic.